Author Topic: Protein only day  (Read 968 times)

Summer1979

• View Profile
Protein only day
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:46 PM »
In one of Maria''s books she talks about having protein only days.  Does anybody know what foods are allowed ie nuts (have carbs), dairy (contains carbs) and how much fat/ protein?

cemmerich

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Protein only day
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:48 AM »
These are pure protein and fat days.  We actually eat this way most days.  It is a day where you get 80% of calories from fat, moderate protein (50-75 grams) and very little carbs (less than 30g). :)

Mom2FourBabes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
I am hoping to get a little help with this very topic.  I just started yesterday, and am going to do the first week of pure protein & fats only.  I believe I have yo yo dieted enough that I need it.  However, I own 4 books (2 cookbooks, and the other 2 about metabolism, and moods)  and while I see a chapter at the end that vaguely touches on this.. there is not much information.  I've looked on the blog as well.. but can not seem to find a lot of info about it.  I feel like I am eating nothing but Meat, Eggs, and nuts.    I have been a vegetarian for the past 4 years, so this has been a struggle for me... However I am open to eating the meat for the amino acids, etc. that I believe I may have been missing.

Is there a program, an online class, or one of the "services" that if purchased goes into more detail about this ?  Or do we just sort of wing it, making sure to eat 0 carbs for that first week.

Also... and here is the "old way of thinking" coming out.  Do we just ignore calories all together ?  I see no mention ANYWHERE in the books about calorie limits..  Do calories in/calories out really not matter anymore

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:25:59 AM by Mom2FourBabes »

cemmerich

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

Tatti Apple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
Mom2FourBabes, I count my calories, like most people at this forum who is trying to lose weight. The  key to success is also the ratios of your fat, protein and carbs you eat every day. Your protein days can be not so boring as just meat, eggs and protein. Here what I ate today on my protein/fat day:

Breakfast:
2 protein buns
3 tbs butter
2 slices of ham
I made it as 2 sandwiches and it kept me full till lunch

Lunch:
4 ham rolls. I spread 1 tbs of cream cheese to each slice of ham, roll it and packed with me at work. The other option could be 4 oz. chicken with homemade mayo.

Dinner:

My keto yogurt which is 2 tbs sour cream + 4 tbs cream + little sweetener and vanilla (you can add any other natural flavor). I whisk everything together until it very smooth with little whisk.

I hope it will help you  ;)

JessicaL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »
I think it is very important to track your food (calories and fat/protein/carb ratio) especially in the beginning.  I was surprised when I started tracking in myfitnesspal because I was consuming too much protein and my ratios were off.  I did decrease the amount of protein, but mostly increased the fat.  You can make the cinnamon bread, toast it, and spread with cream cheese for breakfast (yum!).  I've also made deviled eggs recently with homemade mayo to increase the good fats too.  Delish.  I've been eating pure fat & protein the past couple days and have only had avocado as a couple carbs.  It may make for some interesting meals (with no veggies), but it is only a couple days and IT'S WORKING!  I feel great since I started the Maria way and added the supplements she recommended from my health assessment.

Gramzo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
I think it is very important to track your food (calories and fat/protein/carb ratio) especially in the beginning.  I was surprised when I started tracking in myfitnesspal because I was consuming too much protein and my ratios were off.

I totally agree.  Most people underestimate the nutritional values in their food.  I use Myfitnesspal.com too.  You can custom set your goals and their database has a lot of Maria's recipes.

JessicaL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »
Gramzo - yes, I set my own goals and it is so helpful to see at a glance where I am for the day or if I need to adjust something.  It is also super convenient that so many of Maria's recipes already have the nutritional info loaded!