Author Topic: Problem with Swerve?  (Read 3670 times)

Katy

• View Profile
Problem with Swerve?
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:01 AM »
Just curious if anyone has had digestive issues with Swerve? I was so excited to find a healthy replacement for Splenda, but I don't think I tolerate it well. I emailed the company, but they said it does not cause stomach upset in most people..

tammyokahara

• View Profile
Re: Problem with Swerve?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »
I do not use the Swerve brand. I use plain erythritol and stevia. I always powder mine first. What have you used it in?

pannc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »
I too have had some issues with Swerve.  For me I think it is the erythritol  - it is the only sugar alchohol I can tolerate much at all.  I find a little works ok for me, but a recipe with a lot in it upsets me.  I use stevia  to substitute for part of the Swerve in a lot of recipes.

Lulu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »
I have used Swerve for a while, and have no issues with it.  Also use xylitol and have tried Just Like Sugar and had no problems. I make sugar free ice cream all the time and it tastes wonderful!

tammyokahara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »
I love using JLS and erythritol together.  Baked goods turn out much better.

cemmerich

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
Not everyone is sensitive to Erythritol.  Some people handle sugar alcohols with no problem, others have issues.  But if you are sensitive to it, you can try using less Swerve and more of another sweetener like Stevia or Just Like Sugar. :)

dianeabby

• View Profile
Help with Sweeteners
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »
Does stevia glycerite taste bitter?  I have found that I can only handle Nu Naturals stevia.  Would like to try other sweeteners like Swerve but it's so expensive!  I'm really hesitating on all of the recipes that use a sugar sub since I don't know what to use.

tammyokahara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
I use the stevia from NOW. This is not bitter. I have found it is cheaper to buy erythritol and grind it in the blender. You use that for the bulk with a little liquid stevia. I also love Just Like Sugar White an Brown. I tend to use a combination of these to get the best results and save money.

dianeabby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Hi...why would you grind the erythritol instead of using it out of the bag?  How long have you been using Maria's recipes and have you lost weight or noticed some health benefits?

tammyokahara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:29 AM »
I grind the erythritol  to a powder form. I have found that helps with dissolving in the recipes.  I do not use just erythritol, as I said before. I use a combination of erythritol, Just Like Sugar, and a drop of stevia.  Yes I originally lost fifty pounds. I have gained some back due to me not eating right. I made the decision this week to get back on track because I really want to reach my goal weight. I have along way to go, 75 pounds. This time no desserts. They really slow my weight loss. I have used lots of her recipes. I also enjoy creating my own.

dianeabby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
You're so creative!  That's awesome, what a gift!  Thanks so much for the info.

Kendra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »
I have a question on using Swerve to make homemade ice cream. I followed Maria's vanilla ice cream recipe, used Swerve and the end result was 'off.' My husband, two kids and I all sat down to a dish of ice cream... the three of them took a few bites (commented that it tasted like peanut butter, at first) and then they couldn't eat any more. I then tried it and noticed the PB taste (which sort of went away after a few bites); but, I also noticed a very grainy texture (the Swerve?) and then a very strong burning sensation in my throat. The hubby and kids also went directly for a glass of water as I'm sure they were experiencing the same thing. I ate more than they did and my throat was really irritated and then I felt really crummy for the rest of the night and even a bit into the morning. Any ideas on what went wrong? I was so looking forward to a yummy ice cream treat and it bombed. I've used Swerve in other items with no issues. Help!  :-\

CurlyGirlz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
I too, mix the sweeteners and find it gives the best taste. I love Just Like Sugar and use that the most as I don't love the sort of "minty" aftertaste with too much erythritol. So for a recipe that calls for 1 c Swerve I use 3/4 c of JLS, 1/4 c erythirtol, and a few drops of liquid stevia. Works like a charm. And if you have a magic bullet it does an awesome job at making a "powdered" sugar.

My family loves lots of Maria's recipes - even the kids. We especially like the protein donuts..Awesome for breakfast and so much healthier than a bowl of cereal.

I grind the erythritol  to a powder form. I have found that helps with dissolving in the recipes.  I do not use just erythritol, as I said before. I use a combination of erythritol, Just Like Sugar, and a drop of stevia.  Yes I originally lost fifty pounds. I have gained some back due to me not eating right. I made the decision this week to get back on track because I really want to reach my goal weight. I have along way to go, 75 pounds. This time no desserts. They really slow my weight loss. I have used lots of her recipes. I also enjoy creating my own.

Mrs S

• View Profile
Re: Help with Sweeteners
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
Does stevia glycerite taste bitter?  I have found that I can only handle Nu Naturals stevia.  Would like to try other sweeteners like Swerve but it's so expensive!  I'm really hesitating on all of the recipes that use a sugar sub since I don't know what to use.

I have both NuNaturals Stevia and Now Foods stevia glycerite. I much prefer the taste of the stevia glycerite for everything from iced tea to baking.

I have bought Swerve and it was fine but I prefer plain old erythritol and/or xylitol, much cheaper and they seem to stay in solution when mixed in liquids (like tea) that are chilled whereas the Swerve settles out into a gross sludge layer in the bottom of my tea pitcher. I can't tell a difference in baking but for $3 to $6 less per pound, I'll stick with the E or X.

Katana

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
Hello all, I have a Swerve question, this is a 1st post and it seemed to be the right thread to use. OK 1st, LOVE MARIA! Thank Goodness for her.   :)
I notice there seems to be a mixture of Swerve and Stevia Glycerite . Can anyone tell me if I use Swerve do I omit the Stevia Glycerite ?
I don't have tummy issues and I jumped on the buy 2 get 1 free last week. I am a blessed mommy of two wee ones and do not want sugar anywhere near them.

Thanks for your thoughts!